Many of the programs below utilize similar qualifications as the Free and Reduced Meal Program. Please check out the links and contact information below for more information. If you need to apply for free school meals click here.

Waived SAT/PSAT Fees

SAT fee waivers are available to low-income 11th and 12th-grade students in the U.S. or U.S. territories. U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. may be able to have test fees waived. SAT Subject Test fee waivers are available for students in grades nine through 12.

You’re eligible for fee waivers if you say “yes” to any of these items:

  • You’re enrolled in or eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
  • Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
  • You’re enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., Federal TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
  • Your family receives public assistance.
  • You live in federally subsidized public housing or a foster home, or are homeless.
  • You are a ward of the state or an orphan.

More information and brochures with application and income information can be found at:


Connect Home

The following link connects qualifying households to broadband companies that offer discounted rates for access to Wi-Fi, through the Federal "Connect Home" program. This program is sponsored by the Federal Communications Commission and serves to bring high-speed broadband access to over 275,000 qualifying households across the US. Please find a list of partnering organizations who offer these discounted rates by visiting:


California Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Block Grant is funded by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and provides two basic types of services. Eligible low-income persons, via local governmental and nonprofit organizations, can receive financial assistance to offset the costs of heating and/or cooling dwellings, and/or have their dwellings weatherized to make them more energy efficient. This is accomplished through these program components:

  • The Weatherization Program provides free weatherization services to improve the energy efficiency of homes, including attic insulation, weather stripping, minor housing repairs, and related energy conservation measures.
  • The Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) provides payments for weather-related or energy-related emergencies.

To apply, find the energy service provider in your community at the California Assistance webpage.


CalFresh (formerly known as Food Stamps) is an entitlement program that provides monthly benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels. In general, these benefits are for any food or food product intended for human consumption. Benefits may not be used for items such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or paper products.

For more detailed information, visit Cal Fresh webpage.


CalWORKs is a welfare program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments. If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, it may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses.

To begin the CalWORKs online application process, please visit:http://www.benefitscal.org/


California Medicaid

Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid health care program. This program pays for a variety of medical services for children and adults with limited income and resources. Medi-Cal is supported by Federal and state taxes. Medi-Cal is a large program made up of many separate programs designed to assist Californians in various family and medical situations. The California Healthy Families program has transitioned to the Medi-Cal Program as of January 1, 2013.

To apply online, please visit the Covered California online application portal. For additional application information, visit the Apply for Medi-Cal page. You will be able to download an application form directly from the site.


California Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The California Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides supplemental foods, nutrition education and referrals to health care, at no cost, to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are determined to be at nutritional risk. To be fully eligible for the WIC Program, applicants must be determined by a health professional, at no cost, to be at nutritional risk (i.e., have certain medical-based or diet-based risk conditions

For more information on how to apply, please visit:



Lifeline is a government benefit program from the Federal Communications Commission's Universal Service Fund. It can help you get discounted landline or cell (wireless) phone service if you are below a certain income level. If you qualify for Lifeline, there are three steps to receive a discount on your phone service

  1. Select a phone company
  2. Fill out an application you can get from the phone company
  3. The phone company will verify your identity and enroll you in the program

Victims of Crime Act (VOCA)

VOCA is a fund that supports the victims of violence with assistance and compensation. Every state receives funds to address victims of physical, sexual assault, robbery, domestic violence and assaults resulting in permanent damage. It pays for things such as lost wages, moving expenses, counseling, change of locks or installation of security system and more. To receive help, you must fill out an application in the state the incident occurred. If you live in California you are covered if you were victimized in our outside of the state or country.

More information and application information can be found at the Office for Victims of Crime website.  


Community Action Partnership of Riverside County

County of Riverside Community Action is a member of a national network of over 1,100 Community Action Agencies (CAAs) across the United States. Community Action was established under the presidency of Lyndon Baines Johnson in 1964 as a part of the "War on Poverty." Community Action relies on partners, volunteers and in-kind services to leverage the federal funding. There are a variety of programs available from notary services, disaster preparedness, tax preparation, dispute resolution, savings match, planning, etc.

More info can be found at: http://www.capriverside.org/Program